11.13.2008

dentist...



so ethan had a dentist appointment today to get a filling...and we told him about it this morning and he went bonkers! the anticipation was definitely worse than the actual thing. he was still crying a little when we got there and the other moms were looking at me like, "hey the dentist is hard enough, can you get that kid to stop?" afraid their children were going to chime in as well. so he settled down, mostly due to the movie that was playing and then they call him back and we go to a little Nemo inspired room, very cute with a futon-like bed for little people. they then tell me they are going to bring him some "juice." i'm saying it was "juice" but they didn't tell me that, until they brought it back and he raced to drink it because we were timing him. then they said they'd give him about 20-30 minutes for that to take effect...oh right...there were drugs in that "juice." and were there ever! i took him to the bathroom to pee and then it took about 10 minutes until he was tripping all over his feet in that small room and i made him sit down because i was afraid he would trip over avery and hurt her or himself. he said, "mom, i'm falling down, why am i tripping on my feet?" he was very affectionate, but he usually is, but he was also very floppy. at one point he actually said (i am not making this up), "i love you mom, and i love avery and i love the dentist!" at least he knows where he can go to get the good stuff:) and he did great, he fell asleep to the tune of laughing gas during the procedure and woke up well and ate well after that, no throwing up. yay team! then avery had a doctor's appointment this afternoon and then ethan gets his stitches out tomorrow. whew!

3 comments:

Bethanne said...

That is so funny...funny to see your kid juiced up. :) Sounds like you have been a busy mama with all those visits. And the Tip Junkie thing. Awesome!

Jackie said...

You have been a busy momma! I haven't even taken my kids to the dentist. Well, Dallin had a check-up at 12 months, but that was so ridiculous that I swore I wouldn't pay for that kind of visit again. Anyway, maybe I should take them in.

Emily said...

Wow! Dentists are scary, JC hates his too. I definitely subscribe to the theory of just don't tell them what is going on, because, as you say, the anticipation is often worse. I took JC to get a flu shot yesterday and I didn't tell him. I just took him, sat him on my lap, they stuck him and we were done. Not very nice, but I didn't want to listen to him whine about it!