4.03.2012

Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap

i have wanted to try making my own laundry soap for a while.  today, our regular detergent is almost gone, so i decided it was time to give it a whirl....

there are A LOT of tutorials, guides, recipes and ways to make laundry soap. i decided i wanted to make powdered instead of liquid...most of the recipes are based on the same three ingredients.

BAR SOAP
this i the kind i used, you can also use Fels Naptha, Ivory etc. needs to be a bar, not heavily perfumed, this bar is actually about 3 times the size of one Fels Naptha, for the same price, so i tripled the recipe.

SUPER WASHING SODA
NOT the same as baking soda, found in the aisle with the detergent...

BORAX POWDER



the tutorial i referenced is here

since my bar of ZOTE soap was bigger than the average Fels Naptha, i did my soap in three batches.  i grated a third of the bar at a time, mixed it with 1 cup each of the washing soda and the borax in a large bowl, and then i put it in my kitchenaid blender (you could also use a food processor, i just don't have one). i found that you can't  have the blender going with it in there too long, cause it gets hot, the mixture starts to clump and won't mix as well. but for a short mix in the blender,  this very effectively turned the grated soap to powder and incorporated the ingredients well.

the tutorial i used says to use 2 TBSP per batch of clothes. i read a few though and they all range from 1-2 TBSP, so do what you think works best for you.

i think this is going to be very economical and from what i've read, it works really well too. i am excited to try it out. i used probably about 1/2 the box of Washing Soda, but not half of the borax, so there's enough left to do another triple batch, i am sure.

:Price Breakdown:
ZOTE soap: $.97
Washing Soda: $3.24 (for entire box, 55 oz, i used 24 oz) price for 24 oz = $1.41
Borax: $3.38 (for entire box, 76 oz, i used 24 oz) price for 24 oz = $1.06

total for a triple batch: $3.44

i will let you know how long it lasts...look for updates as it gets used:)  just something i wanted to try...

6 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

I can't wait to hear your review! Waned totry it too!

Meredith said...

Looking forward to your review. I've been thinking about switching to the powedered recipe just because it would take up less room to store it.

Melissa said...

I've been using homemade laundry soap for about 3 months now. I really like it. It doesn't have much scent, but that's alright with me. The recipe I used has oxy clean in it as well. Also, I didn't put mine in the blender. I just left the soap in flakes. It dissolves quickly in the water, so I don't think that step really matters. I haven't had any trouble with it. Here's to being thrifty!

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

Hi Jen, I've been trying out homemade laundry soap too! I'd love to hear how your version with Zote works once you've tried it out. I've been trying out laundry soap with castile soap but it leaves oily spots on some of the clothes.

rachel said...

This is totally inspiring.I am excited to see the updates and how you like it.

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

Hi Jen, I'm about to make a new batch of laundry soap and was wondering if I should try making it with Zote this time. I'm deciding between Fels Naptha and Zote. I like the Zote because it seems more natural than the Fels Naptha. I don't like the strong smell of the Fels Naptha but I think it will work well on stains. The laundry soap I made with castile soap didn't get stains out at all. How does your Zote laundry soap do with stains?