9.25.2008

End of an Era...



that is a Boppy, if you don't know...and we will soon be packing ours away to await some other child because my sweet baby Avery has decided she is DONE NURSING. yesterday she nursed in the morning and then refused to the rest of the day, and today...she just refused. i think she is getting more teeth and she keep trying to bite me but she won't nurse. so i think we are done.

i knew it was coming. you start this path knowing that it will end sometime after thier first birthday. and i always said, when she wants to stop (after the first birthday) we will. because, all you moms who breastfeed will know, if a kid doesn't want to...there's no forcing the issue. we had a good run, she is almost exactly the same age as ethan was when he stopped nursing, oddly enough. 13.5 months.

she seems to be transitioning well and i don't have any pain, so i think we'll all be fine. i will miss the closeness we had nursing and frankly, the time i had to read my books;) or take a catnap while ethan was occupied...but we'll have fun being all together now. i wonder if ethan will even notice that we don't do it anymore? he hasn't said anything today about it. we'll see:)

6 comments:

This Mom said...

I am a Lurker on your blog. If you have a laptop computer your Boppy is a great computer pillow. I am using mine that way as I type. It works great!!

Melissa said...

13 months is a great run! I start off hoping to do it for at least 6 months. That's always been my goal. Sadly, I've never made it that long. My milk has never lasted past 4 months. I say you did good!

Mariley Johnson said...

it really is the best time to read. farewll boppy.

Audrey said...

Just be glad she stopped on her own. Owen quit at about that time exactly as well. With Ryanna, at 15 months I finally had to stop her. She still wanted to--probably would still be doing it today if she hadn't started Kindergarten. I think it's a great bonding experience, but enough is enough after a while. I wanted my body back all for my own self.

Emily said...

That's always hard! It is so hard to do it and so hard to stop!

Bethanne said...

That is how old Leah was too...and she weaned herself just like Avery.

Jackson didn't ever want to nurse and while I enjoyed the free-time formula gave me, I really missed that bonding time with him. In fact, when I finally "gave up" I cried thousands of tears: sadness, frustration and also relief (like you said, you can't force them to nurse!).